Website maintenance and technical support
Regular website maintenance is essential for a secure and high performing website. Think of it as your website’s 2-in-1 doctor and life-insurance.
Get the basic website maintenance package
- Regular website backups to avoid data loss.
- CMS and plugin updates for a secure website.
- Regular spring cleaning of your disk space and database so your site runs quickly and smoothly.
- Performance checks to ensure your website is at its best.
- Server updates.
- Technical support.
Cost – Euro 35 / month
In depth look at website maintenance
Do I really need website maintenance?
YES – you do need website maintenance, if for no other reason than to avoid being hacked.
What are the benefits of website maintenance?
Keeping your website up-to-date will help to ensure a fast loading, secure website that purrs along. However, rather than the benefits, website maintenance is more about avoiding the problems you encounter by not updating your website.
- Data loss – your hosting company can lose all of your data and you will find yourself without a website.
- Hackers – out-of-date software can leave security flaws and your site wide open to hackers.
- Broken website – out-dated software will become incompatible with your server and stop working.
Why are website backups important?
Imagine that one day you visit your website and it is no longer there. Your server crashed or the site was hacked – your website has been lost.
This may sound crazy, but it does happen. Ensure your web developer takes regular backups and they are stored on a separate server to your website.
How often should I backup my website?
Why do I need to update my website CMS?
Most websites use a content management system (CMS) such as WordPress, Joomla, Magento or Prestashop. Just as Android and Apple continually request you update your smartphone software, CMS need software updates circa 2-3 times a month.
Some updates include security patches that fix known vulnerabilities in the CMS – in which case your website must be updated. It is fundamental that your web developer does this regularly.
Problems if you don’t update your website:
- Website becomes incompatible with extensions: website entensions such as your shopping cart become incompatible with your outdated software. You may notice this if certain functionality stops working on your website, parts of your website disappear, or start displaying error messages.
- Website incompatible with server: servers also run on software, which is regularly upgraded. If you don’t update your website, it will eventually become incompatible with the server and stop working. You’ll likely see a blank screen or error messages.
- Security flaws: your website can become vulnerable to hackers if not updated.
- Your website is no longer up-datable: if you don’t update your website for many years it may no longer be possible to upgrade, and will have to be rebuilt from scratch.
How often should I update my website?
Fine tuning your website
Websites build up clutter over time, so occasional spring cleaning is recommended and will keep your website running quickly and smoothly:
- Emptying website cache.
- Database repair and optimisation.
- Running a website healthcheck for things like Pagespeed, repairing broken links, coding errors and SEO.