New school website design – European School, Milan
Last updated on
We were asked to build a new bilingual school website the European School in Milan with photographic services of the school and students, and production of short video interviews with students and staff.
How to create a successful scholastic website
Scholastic websites are used by a wide variety of people of varying levels of internet ability, including pupils from primary through to high school; parents; teachers; school governors; prospective students and their families; even local press. A key to building a successful school website is presenting it in such a way that it can be easily used by everyone. A simple clean design, clear communication of information and well structured navigation are essential to make information easy to find.
We split out the school website with a coloured section for each school (Infants, Primary, Secondary, High School). So for example, parents with children in primary school know that they can find all they will need to know in that one section.
The website must also present a school where parents would want to send their kids. Our market research showed that when choosing a school for their children, parents not only wanted a professional looking school where students work hard and achieve highly, but it must also be fun (parents want their children to enjoy themselves). The fun element certainly comes across in the photos and videos clips we produced.
- Multi-language website in Italian and English
- 100% customized design
- SEO optimized to increase website visitors from the Milan area
- Easy to maintain and update by school staff
- Responsive design for easy navigation on PC, tablet and smartphone.
- Simple and intuitive navigation for easy use by school students, parents and staff. This includes a simple colour scheme to identify each section of the school (infants school, primary, secondary and high school).
- An online shop to order school uniforms, books and other academic material.
- School Blog published by students and staff.
Software and technical details
- Website software: WordPress.
- Plugins used: WPML multilingual website, Yoast SEO to increase visitors from search, Event Calendar WD to manage school events, W3 total cache to speed the website up.