Design of a portfolio website for an artist or photographer
Last updated on
We were asked to build a new portfolio website to exhibit the work of Milanese artist Giovanna Malacarne. The key aspect was having a clear easy to use website where anyone can browse her artwork on any screen – from tiniest smartphone to a 28 inch iMac (ultra responsive design).
Visit the website
How to create an effective portfolio website for an artist or photographer
Grabbing visits through search engines is very difficult in such a vast market as design or photography, so I suggest concentrating your efforts on producing a stunning portfolio website that frames the picture/ artwork in their best light. Concentrate on user experience and producing a website that can create word of mouth and social shares.
To showcase the artist’s work, I suggest a minimalist design (white or dark grey with one other colour for the font), no clutter, and large high definition images. High-end luxury and art markets often work on word-of-mouth and recommendation: so having a beautiful showcase it a must!
- Multi-language website in Italian and English.
- Customized website design studied for the luxury sector.
- Portfolio to showcase the artwork/ photography.
- Easy to maintain and update.
- Large full screen images (even on iMac and other large monitors).
- Ultra responsive website design for easy browsing on PC, tablet and smartphone.
Software and technical details
- Website software: Joomla multilingual website.
- Plugins used: Gantry5, SH404SEF to help optimise the website and increase visitors from search.