Which is best – a template or a custom designed website?
Last updated on
When building a new website, there are two options for getting the look you want: using an off-the-shelf template or asking your web agency to build a customized design.
Off-the-shelf templates or themes are cheaper and quicker to set up, but lack the customization, flexibility, branding and originality of a fully customized site. They are also bulky and notoriously slow.
Which is the best choice for your website?
Either route has its pros and cons. The right choice for your website comes down to budget and company image.
When to get a website template
- When it doesn’t matter if your site looks like another site
- When you are on a tight budget
- If you are trying to build your own website and have little experience of web design.
Themeforest is a great place to find a theme. Always check with your developer before purchasing a theme – some themes look great, but under the surface and they have serious flaws.
When to get a customized website design
- Medium-large companies should always go for a 100% customized website with professional branding and image.
- Complex websites and web apps are also likely to need a custom design, as website templates will probably not render well on the ad-hoc part of your website/app.
Website template Vs customized design
|Website templates||Customized design|
|Layout and design options||Restrictive||Complete flexibility and control|
|Unique||No – other websites that look the same||Your website is unique|
|Costs||Cheap||Can be more expensive|
Trust the experts
If you choose the a website template or a custom design, always consult a professional designer who can help you make the right decisions.
Our experienced team is here to guide you to the right choices quickly and efficiently so you can get on with running your business.