How to pick a good website template for your business
Last updated on
Themeforest alone has thousands of website templates and themes – some are superb, the majority good, others are poor. So how do you pick a good website template for your project?
As the best websites come from a collaboration between business owners and the web designer(s), I recommend one of the following approaches:
- Either show your designer the type of website your like – preferably with example, and let them pick the template based on performance.
- Or you can choose a minimum of 3 templates you like and let the designer vet the selection.
Either way IT’S A WIN WIN: you get a template to your liking but the designer always picks the final template, giving the getting the assurance of a reliable template suitable for your project.
How to avoid problems when picking a template
- Beware amazing photography. Many templates are image-orientated with large stunning photography chosen for effect. The problem with this is that your photos are unlikely to be so nice. By getting suckered in by beautiful imagery, you forget to look at the actual template and layout – is it suited to your website?
- Is the template structure suitable for the kind of website want?
- Is the template popular? Templates with lots of downloads and ratings are likely to be regularly updated – which is good.
- Also check the template release date, the time of the last update, and how responsive the developers are on their forum/ FAQ section. All signs of a well maintained and frequently updated template. You don’t want to end up with a broken or out-of-date template.
- Pick a selection of least 3 templates you like, and let your designer make the final choice based on the technical aspects of the template and suitability for your project.
Trust the experts
If you choose the a website template, always consult a professional who can help you make the right decisions.
Our experienced team can guide you to the right choices quickly and efficiently so you can get on with running your business.