How to choose a great domain name
Last updated on
Your domain name is a fundamental part of your branding and will also influence your SEO. It is how thousands of customers will find you online.
Your choice of domain name depends on if you already have a company name or not.
Choosing a domain when you already have a company name
Choosing a domain when your already have a company name but the .COM has been taken
Choosing a domain from scratch
- Choose a short and memorable domain name (1 or 2 words without hyphens or underscores).
- Ensure your domain name is easy to read, write and understand in your target markets.
- Include a keyword if possible. This will help with help customers find you in search and has SEO benefits.
- Ensure all domain extensions are available. So if you are targeting England and Italy, make sure that the .CO.UK, .IT and .COM domains are all available. This helps customers find you and re-enforces your branding.
Errors to avoid when picking your domain
- Avoid numbers and funny symbols like hyphens and underscore – they are difficult to remember and considered spam.
- Does your domain name have an unintended meaning in other languages?
Get an expert opinion
Choosing the right domain name helps customers find you. Our experienced, international team will guide you to the right choices quickly and efficiently so you can get on with running your business.