Today we are going to share with you the creative design process we went through to develop the logo above for world champion and world record holding Paralympic powerlifter, Ali Jawad.
Logo Design Phase 1 - client discussionInitially we chat with our clients to understand their business, their brand and tastes. It is essential at this stage to have a name, and concept so that we know what to aim for. It is also helpful to have an idea of the colour scheme, message you want to convey (friendliness, professionality, fun, contemporary etc.), and preferably examples of other logos that you are fond of.
Ali is a world champion in his sport and was looking for a young, fresh logo that reflected his powerlifting profession
Logo Design Phase 2 - research and initial draft logos
We then set about designing example logos. The first drafts are low resolution and often done in one font to save time.
Below are first draft low-resolution examples without any special graphics to get a feel of the logo we are looking for. We worked on several themes that incorporated Ali's favorite colour of red, whilst trying to work the letters of his name into a powerlifting or olympic theme.
Logo Design Phase 3 - client feedback and logo redesign
The logo design process will typically go through several iterations of Phases 1 and 2 above while we work with the client to develop a clearer idea of the logo genre and concept.
From the selection of logos above, we decided to work on the logo incorporating Alis name into the powerlifting bar, varying the font and the bend on the bar.
Logo Design Phase 5 - final logo selection and reproduction as a high definition vector
And below is the final logo in all it's glory.
So that's it for today. Time for you to let us know what you think?
How do you find these tutorials - please let me know in the comments below. If it is to understand the design process other designers go through, or you are just looking for some inspiration we hope you find this tutorial useful.
We also built Ali's official website - please take a look as we would love to know what you think. We hope to see Ali at with Gold around his neck at the Commonwealth Games this Summer and at Rio in 2016.
Pro tips when creating a new logo
- Keep it simple. Often the simplest logos work the best and will stand the test of time. Take Apple, Audi, Fedex, Mercedes, Nike and Sony as examples -all industry leading brands with simple, effective logos.
- Work closely with your client on this one. Use a combination of your branding and design expertise to guide your client to their perfect logo.
- Search the web for ideas. Googling a phrase like "inspirational logo design" and then clicking on "images" tab will unlock a world of logo inspiration!
- Check how your logo works against different coloured background. If needs be, produce different version for dark background.
- Make a high definition version of your logo in .png format available to easily download in the "media" or "press" area of your website. This will help press, website owners and bloggers who want to write about you.
Why we showcase out logo design process?
The logo design process can typically see anything from 15-100 logos get dumped in favour of the final version. And that is where this blog comes in... if there's one thing we don't like - it is waste! So we have decided to start putting all of the designs churned out from our logo design process online for your enjoyment, scrutiny, inspiration and (we hope) learning.